Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Real Skinny (According to Boy)

The real skinny (according to Boy): Both of us shared similar memories of the bar at the Fifth Avenue Hotel. Evie obviously remembers what she ordered. I am not that certain what I ordered. It is likely that she gets closer to what really happened that evening than do I. If she ordered something other than a beer, I probably ordered a Scotch and soda, as that was the only cocktail that I came close to liking. We probably did leave shortly after arriving. I doubt that she would have been able to drink a Rye on the Rocks, so we would have wanted to move along. Regarding Evie’s statement about the long history of the Fifth Avenue Hotel—while its past certainly is storied, on a recent visit to the address we were surprised to find that it was no longer a hotel. It now houses condos. Because we were not able to get inside, we do not know the status of the bar. But my guess is that it is still there. Maybe we can get in and investigate on one of our future trips to our city.

No comments:

Post a Comment