Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Charlie Junior, the Runner, According to Girl


Charlie Junior, the runner according to Girl: I did not know much about the sport. I was not even sure it was a sport. What was this running thing? An exercise? Or perhaps an excuse to buy new clothes in order to participate, or at least new shoes.

I was not athletic. I hated gym class in high school. Most sports were at best another chance for me to get embarrassed for my lack of ability, or worse, a forty-five minute period of the day for me to bruise my lily white skin. I hated to exercise. My face would turn red, and drops of sweat would start to bead up on my forehead. Then, after that humiliation, I had to take a shower in front of my wacko gym teacher. She would hand me a tiny hand towel as I got out of the shower, physically checking to make sure there were the proper number of drops of water on my back to prove to her that I actually did take a real shower. Geez, I hated it.

Then, Mike said, "Guess what? Charlie is a runner." This sounded interesting. Mike said that Charlie ran for his high school. "What was this all about?" I wondered. He received ribbons and trophies. He decorated his room with them. They were colorful red, blue, and gold trophies with his name stamped on them. He was skinny and fast. He trained at school every day. His events were the 50 and 100 yard dashes. And the ribbons and trophies proved he was good.
I was interested in finding out more. Perhaps I should start running with them. "This," I thought, "could involve new shoes." Any excuse for buying new clothes got my attention. I told Mike and Charlie that I was going to start running as well. Charlie seemed semi-excited. I think I detected a look that said he would wait and see.
However, when I came home with my beautiful red running shoes with the white laces, both of them realized I was well on my way. The shoes were lightweight, with tiny heels and great arch support. The new shoes were the most important items in my running wardrobe; but I did not stop there. The list went on. I needed a sports bra and halter. They should match the red. I found some cute striped tanks and tees, and some gray long sleeved shirts. I needed tights, pants, vests and headbands. I actually found a gray and white polka dot headband that brought the entire outfit together. I was so adorable and pumped to join my guys in the challenge.

We decided to ask Charlie if he knew of a good location to get started, and he suggested the park. We chose our days and times. Charlie had other good suggestions, like bringing a water bottle. Mine was red of course. We also brought a stopwatch, just in case one of us might like to sit on the hill with the dog and watch, while the other would run past.

We were ready, we took off. We were slow—actually I was slow. Mike ran ahead. He was in charge of the dog. I ran behind—well behind. I loved my shoes. That was the most important thing to me.
"It won’t be long before I’m running circles around Charlie with all of those cute ribbons," I thought. "Easy-breezy."

The first block went well. We had three more blocks to get to the park. I needed a drink. I knew if I took in too much water, I would have to go. Better be careful. I sipped a bit. We kept running.
Block two. I started to sweat. This is not cool. This is work. Charlie did not mention the sweat. It was hot out. Mike and Mister were in the next block. "Wait!"

When it was over, I said to myself, "Okay, this was very hard, but it was still fun. I will keep at it."
We chatted that evening about the run and how it went. I told Mike that I was more into the fashion end of the idea, but I would continue to accompany him and Mister to the park. I think on that particular day, I resigned myself to allowing Charlie to win the ribbons, while I would be content with congratulating him for his great accomplishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment