Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mike's Mood Swings When Evie Left, According to Girl


Mike’s mood swings when Evie left according to Girl: I recently read that a person’s eyes dilate when looking at someone they love. Also, apparently the eyes will also dilate when looking at something or someone they hate.


Sounds interesting. This was similar to what happened at the airport scenes of the weekends I spent in New York.
I loved coming to New York. I hated leaving.


Our director instructed us to put our emotions and souls into the initial scene one. We heard the lights, camera action, as I came down the ramp from the plane. He would be waiting, in his jeans and dress shirt. Sleeves rolled up, I think they were French cuffs, however when you did not bother with the links, it was easier to roll them up. He spent hours, working on papers, and the typewriter with legal pads and pencils at his side, his hands were free and clear of anything that might be a distraction. He stood there while I ran, cutting through the crowd and passing the slower traffic on the bridge, I would find his arms, we would kiss, and yes, my eyes would probably dilate. That’s why he would call me his brown eyed girl.

I was not sure why he loved me. He could find a rich girl on campus. He could find a Coco Chanel snob. He could find someone who had degrees, parents with status, an intellectual; he could easily have assumed the role of a graduate student snob.

As my visit drew to a close, we would head to the air terminal (yes, terminal was the perfect name for this last scene). We were grumpy. Overtired, broke and mostly not wanting the movie to end this way. Why do some movies just have sad endings? Much like many love stories, my visits always seemed to make us cry at the end.


Our movie closed with silence, an empty head and heart. The eyes told the story. Bach, Concerto Number Three in D Major playing in the background, the final moments, I grabbed a pillow, pushed back the blue seat on the plane, looked out the tiny airplane window at the yellow and orange sunset with the silhouette of the skyline and tears streamed down my face.
I left. It was over. Seven hundred forty six miles. I will miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment