Wednesday, March 16, 2011

New York Accommodations When Evie Came to Visit, According to Girl


New York accommodations when Evie came to visit according to Girl: Just like little Annie Oakley, when I came to town I was "packing." However, I was not packing a 22 caliber rifle (to split a playing card edge on, and put five or six more holes in it before it hit the ground).

What I packed were two main ingredients for a trip to see Mike. First, of course, my birth control pills, yep, this little sharpshooter did not need to return to Michigan with a problem. And, secondly, my contact lenses.
Didn’t need a suitcase for those. Didn’t have to check a bag at the airport. I could wear Mike’s shirts for my sleepwear and after two quick days for a visit, I would be back in the Midwest.
They would be impromptu, I would call Mike and tell him I needed to see him. My check would come, I would head to the bank to cash it. I then went to the airport and bought my ticket. And, by the next weekend, I was in flight.

I can’t believe we could smoke on the plane. No screening, no IDs— anyone with a ticket could get on a plane. The planes were big and loud. I think that the sky would shake when those silver bullets careened through the clouds. The flight attendants were all girls. Not a hair out of place, nails with clear polish and white pearly teeth showed when the red lips parted to offer drinks or dinner. The visits were fast and incredibly delicious. When there was a roommate involved, we would head to the Statler Hilton and get the student rate rooms.


It was there I lost my, no, not lost, I misplaced, no, perhaps, the glass of water should have been less available. But, the contacts were gone in the morning. My view of Manhattan was suddenly diminished. The Staten Island Ferry would not have the clear view of the city, the Empire State Building would wait for another weekend. Sites would wait. It was okay because we could spend more face time.

We imagined they were down the drain. Yes, with the slimiest of sewer rats. They would probably be taking them to the rat pawn shop at the entrance to the train tunnel. The finder would discuss their value with the owner, and they decided to re-sell them as glass bowls, handmade, each being unique, and the little artist’s mark in the right lens to determined authenticity, much like the digital watermarking software used for a photograph.
So, the little rat family, had a fabulous dinner with the pawnbrokers bounty, and I jumped on the Sunday night plane, a bit blinder, but, with the Annie song running through my mind.
"Buffalo gals, won’t you come out tonight?
Come out tonight, Come out tonight?
Buffalo gals, won’t you come out tonight,
And dance by the light of the moon."
(by Cool White, copyright unknown; featured in It’s A Wonderful Life.)

And as for me—I will be back. Within a few weeks I will be packin’, just watch me.

No comments:

Post a Comment