Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wilt's Belt Buckle, According to Girl


Wilt’s belt buckle according to Girl: The plot was this: Mike would check into the Waldorf-Astoria, then take our bags up. Initially I waited outside. After an appropriate amount of time, I would discretely walk through the lobby to the elevators, and go up to the room.
The Waldorf-Astoria was arguably one of the most famous hotels in the country. Initially (prior to 1931) it was located on the site where the Empire State Building was to be constructed (5th Avenue and 34th Street). In 1931 they rebuilt the five star hotel at 301 Park Avenue. The Waldorf was the choice of presidents, ambassadors and gangsters. It was the backdrop of some great movies like "Coming to America," "Scent of a Woman" and "Serendipity."
The name, Waldorf=Astoria, now officially appears with a double hyphen, but originally the single hyphen was employed, as recalled by a popular expression and song, "Meet Me at the Hyphen."

I waited an appropriate length of time under the Park Avenue art deco awning of the hotel. It was chilly outside, so I had my jacket wrapped tightly around me, with a scarf around my neck to keep out the ever present wind of the city streets. As I headed to the elevators, I noticed the luxurious furnishings in the lobby. I later mentioned them to Mike, and he told me that this hotel was frequented by many famous people, including performers such as Louis Armstrong, and even world leaders. Rates today for the room we shared range up to $900 per night. I do not remember what we paid for the room, but I am sure it cost dearly.
As I headed up to the room, I recall that I was anxious to make sure I found the right elevator, one that serviced the correct floor and room where I would find Mike waiting. As the brass and glass door opened for me, and the bell announcing the arrival rang above my head, I stepped into the empty elevator, and pushed the floor button. But the car did not move. I pushed the button a second time.
Just as the door was closing, a huge black hand stopped it and the doors re-opened. I backed up into the corner as five huge, no gigantic, black men got on this elevator with me. The one in the middle had a cobalt blue suit on with a black shirt and matching blue tie and the surrounding men were dressed in black suits.
I recalled that cobalt blue is the color of a street gang called the Crips. I was sure these men were gangsters. Perhaps these men just happened not to see me in the back of this six feet by seven feet moving steel room. I was hoping they didn’t. In fact, I was pretending to be invisible. Perhaps, because they were so very big, I was out of their line of sight. I was afraid, my heart raced, I was sure they heard it beating in my neck and eardrums, my hands were shaking and my knees were ready to buckle. I just knew I was dead.
After what seemed like an eternity, the door closed. I was stuck. They pushed the button and even though I could not see where they were getting off, I was hoping it would be soon, before my floor. "How could I ever get past them to get out?" I wondered. I closed my eyes and expected life as I knew it to be ending at the Waldorf that day. Then, before I could think my next dreadful thought, all five men got off and left me alone, to continue upward to Mike.
Reaching the room, relief set in as I told Mike the whole story of the huge men riding with me. He immediately knew who they were. Madison Square Garden was the site of the huge Philadelphia 76ers game against the New York Knicks. Wilt Chamberlain was in town.
We were 1.7 miles away from the Garden and only about eight minutes in a cab. What could be more convenient for a celebrity than this beautiful five star hotel?
Wilt the Stilt was seven feet one inch in height, and weighed 276 pounds. He was the only player to average fifty points in a season with his NBA career, and the only player to score 100 points in a single game.
The man in the cobalt blue suit was Wilt Chamberlain. The other men were his bodyguards (whose job, I suppose, was to protect Wilt from people like me).
That day I learned a bit more about basketball and a lot more about my unfounded silly fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment